Match Exception Process Overview
Matching is the process of comparing invoices (AP vouchers), Purchase Orders (POs), and (in certain cases) receipts, to ensure you pay for only the goods and services ordered and received.
A match exception is a discrepancy between a PO, invoice/AP voucher, and/or receipt. Typically, this happens because of an amount or quantity difference or because an invoice has been received but the delivery of the goods or services has not been confirmed in Prime Financials via Receiving. Match exceptions are identified by a match rule ID.
A full list of match exception rules and solutions is available on the Match Exceptions Issues and Solutions Reference Guide.
Identify a Match Exception
There are four ways in which to identify a match exception:
- Buyer on the PO will receive a match exception email, if one or more exists,
Note: Match Exception emails are sent on Tuesday and Friday of each week. This email will list a summary of all active match exceptions for the specific user.
- Procurement WorkCenter on the Prime Portal > POs with Match Exceptions tile.
- Run Payables Summary or Payables Detail report in the Prime Financial Information Warehouse.
- Navigate to Match Workbench or Document Status within Prime Financials.
Impact of a Match Exception
There are a number of negative implications of match exceptions, requiring them to be resolved in a timely manner:
- Invoice/AP voucher cannot be paid until match exceptions are resolved
- Suppliers may delay or refuse all University purchase orders if they are waiting for payment
- Expense is not reflected in the general ledger
- Year-end closings could be affected (potentially impacting the integrity of audited financial statements)
Resolve a Match Exception
There are four issues that can cause a match exception:
1. Receipt of item(s) is not acknowledged in Prime Financials.
- Rule: 100
- Solution: Acknowledge receipt of item(s) via Manage Requisitions or Add/Update Receipts if the total PO is $2,500 or greater. However, capital assets requires receipt of item(s) regardless of dollar amount.
2. PO has insufficient funds for current invoice
- Rule: 290, 300, 380, 390, 490, 500
- Solution: View the PO Activity Summary via PO Inquiry. If the invoice is correct, submit a PO change request via Manage Requisitions (or PO change order to Procurement) to adjust the line that does not match the invoice amount. If invoice is not correct, contact the supplier for a revised invoice.
3. Amount received does not match amount on invoice
- Rule: 310, 320, 580, R900
- Solution: View the PO Activity Summary via PO Inquiry. If the invoice is correct, acknowledge additional receipts via Manage Requisitions or Add/Update Receipts. If invoice is not correct, contact the supplier for a revised invoice.
4. PO quantity does not agree with the invoice
- Rule: 550, R590
- Solution: View the PO Activity Summary via PO Inquiry. If the invoice is correct, submit a PO change request via Manage Requisitions (or PO change order to Procurement) to adjust the quantity of the line that does not match the invoice quantity. If invoice is not correct, contact the supplier for a revised invoice.
After appropriate actions have been taken by the Req Creator, Procurement, and/or Accounts Payable to address a match exception, it will be cleared from the next match exception email, within the Procurement WorkCenter, and all Prime Financials reports (reports update overnight and may not reflect cleared match exceptions immediately).
Submit a PO Change Request
Review the step-by-step instructions for changing an existing requisition after a PO has been generated by visiting Create a PO Change Request.
In certain situations, a PO change request cannot be completed by a Req Creator and must be done through Procurement (PO Change Order). These scenarios include:
- PO was created in a previous fiscal year and the corresponding PO line(s) are not at a closed or canceled status
- PO originated as a Marketplace order
- A change order was previously performed on this PO
- Lines need to be added to an existing PO
- Attachments or comments need to be added or modified
Please submit the change order to Procurement Services or enter a change order through the buying and paying general inquiry form. Before submitting the change order to Procurement, please note that Procurement is unable to update PO line(s) if they have a receipt attached or voucher applied. If this is the case, please delete the receipt or send a request to Procurement Services to delete the voucher, prior to sending your change order to Procurement.
Tips to Minimize Match Exceptions
- Receive goods and services for POs valued at or above $2,500 in Prime Financials as soon as they have been accepted. Acceptance signifies that goods have been delivered and inspected or services have been performed in a satisfactory manner. In certain cases, receiving is not required for POs valued above $2,500 (See University-approved temporary staffing agencies).
- Resolve match exceptions promptly to ensure timely payment of invoices.
- Process PO change requests as they occur. Don’t wait for the invoice to be received or for a match exception to occur.
- Run reports to help identify match exceptions and to check on the status of POs within your department.
- Bring your specific Match Exception questions to the Procurement Team during monthly Ask Procurement sessions. Session schedules can be found through the Employee Learning Center.
To learn more about Princeton’s Buying and Paying process, including methods outside the requisition process, please visit the Finance & Treasury website.
To learn more, please enroll in Req Creator training through the Employee Learning Center and review the related material, Requisitions: Create and Approve (Part 1 of 2) and Purchase Orders: Manage and Pay (Part 2 of 2).