HR Self Service: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I access HR Self Service?
Log into HR Self Service and enter your University netID and password. You will be asked to use DUO to login in the future.
What actions can I perform in HR Self Service?
You can perform the following actions:
- Update your personal information, including home and mailing addresses, personal telephone numbers, emergency contact information, and personal email addresses
- Update your Preferred or Legal Name
- Update your veteran status and disability status
- Preview your current benefit selections
- Enroll in benefits (if you are a new employee)
- Update your benefits (when you have a qualifying life event)
- Modify your benefits during the Open Enrollment period
- Update payroll information, including your W-4, direct deposit and paperless elections
- View and print your pay statements and elect to receive your W-2 forms electronically
- View your current absence balances
I updated my information; why aren't the changes visible?
Some information changes (such as legal name or marital status) require review by HR to ensure accuracy. For this reason, you may not immediately see the changes. Your information will be updated after it has been reviewed.
How do I update my office telephone number, fax number, or office location?
To change your office telephone number, fax number, or office location, contact your departmental telephone coordinator.
I'm a retiree; what information can I update in HR Self Service?
Retirees can update personal information, including home and mailing addresses, personal telephone numbers, emergency contact information, and personal email addresses.
Why can't I access the HR Self Service portal?
There may be technical issues related to your computer's browser or VPN software that are preventing you from accessing the portal:
- You must use Internet Explorer browser on a Windows computer, or Firefox or Chrome on a Mac to access HR Self Service. Refer to Supported browsers and settings for University Business Applications for more information.
- Pop-ups must be enabled on your browser for certain tasks (for ex, viewing your paystub). Refer to Web Browsers: How to enable or disable pop-up blockers for more information.
- If you are trying to access HR Self Service from off-campus, a Princeton VPN connection is not necessary; however you may need a VPN connection if your personal firewall is disallowing the connection. If you have configured your firewall to allow only port 80 connections via http, then you will not be able to connect to HR Self Service portal, as it uses port 7002. A Princeton VPN connection often seems to fix this home connection problem, because a firewall can be configured to allow a VPN connection and will transmit data to and from any port on campus.
Whom can I contact for additional help?