Networking: Troubleshooting Tips
Before you start working
- Test your network speed. Check your internet speed. You'll want at least 5Mbps to use Zoom and other collaboration tools.
What to do if your connection is slow
- Move closer to your wi-fi router. Getting closer to your router can improve signal strength. Wi-fi extenders can boost the signal in other rooms.
- Restart your router or computer. Most routers have a reset button. If your computer isn’t connecting but other devices are still working online, reboot your computer.
- Close other programs and limit streaming/large downloads while you work. Other programs on your computer may consume processor or network resources. Try disconnecting or limiting use of other non-essential devices on your network.
- Call your internet service provider or check their status website to determine if there are any known issues. This will help you learn if the problem is widespread in your area or specific
to your home.
- Use a mobile hotspot. A hotspot lets you share your phone’s data with other devices to access the internet. Check with your mobile provider to see if a hotspot is an option for you.