Timeline: How do I post to the Timeline?
The Timeline accepts two classes of posts:
- Targeted post,
- Tagged post.
Targeted posts are sent to one or more groups.
Tagged posts are categorized with one or more interests.
You should send a targeted post when you want to:
- reach a specific set of individuals based on their membership or role (these are referred to as the targeted users), and
- have all those individuals see the post.
You should send a tagged post when you want to send a post that:
- people will see based on their specified interests as expressed through one or more tags, and
- only people who have subscribed to the tags used in your post will see it.
You should clearly understand the difference between tagged and targeted posts before continuing. For more information on this please see the Timeline Overview.
From the Publish tab:
(if you do not see a Publish tab, please contact the Timeline administrator).
- Click Create Tagged or Targeted Post.
- Select Type of post [For Targeted only]: The default is event - you can choose to create a deadline or announcement.
- Title: Use a clear name to describe your event.
- Start [For Events & Deadlines only]
- End [For Events only]: Although the drop-down menu shows 30 minute increments, you can manually enter specific times (eg: 3:47 pm).
- Description: Place the most important information first. In some views, only the first few words will appear.
- Interest Tags [For Tagged only] OR Targeted Groups [For Targeted only]:
Tags help people find your event.
Groups lets you select to whom you want to send this post.
- Importance [For Targeted only]: Users cannot hide posts on their Timeline that you flag as important (please use sparingly).
- From: Visible only if you have authority to post for an organization, such as a department or office.
- Recurrence [For Events & Deadlines only]: You can select Daily, Weekly or Monthly.
- Location: For off-campus or irregular locations, select Other. NOTE: This does not reserve the space for your event. You must go to EMS or the appropriate department to reserve rooms.
- URL: This can point to an external link with details about your event, or to a site where people can RSVP, register, buy tickets, etc.
- External Destinations: Destinations are places where posts can be sent, eg: a departmental calendar on a Drupal website. They are visible only if you have created a destination.
- Notifications [For Targeted only]: Sends an email or text message to everyone targeted to see your post.
- CC: Sends an email notification to specific people (not part of the target group) when post is published.
- Reply-to: If an email is sent (thru step 6 or 7), direct replies back to an email address different than the From account.
- Selected Publication date and time: Select whether to publish immediately or on a selected date and time.
- Click Save as Draft or Submit: Once posts are saved or submitted, they can be reviewed, modified, cancelled or copied on the My Posts page.