Encryption: How can I tell if my computer has encryption software installed?
Windows computer with McAfee DEPC installed
Look in your system tray for the McAfee icon (the system tray is usually on the bottom right of your screen next to the time/date display)
- Right-click on the icon and select Quick Settings
- Select Show Drive Encryption Status and the status will be displayed
Windows computer with BitLocker enabled
- Click on the Start menu
- Select Control Panel-->System and Security-->BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Under the section BitLocker Drive Encryption -->Hard Disk Drives you can see On which means the device is encrypted with BitLocker
macOS Computers with FileVault enabled
- Go to Systems Preferences-->Security and Privacy
- Click on the FileVault tab
- “FileVault is turned on” means the device is encrypted with FileVault
NOTE: To find out if the encryption recovery key for your encrypted computer is stored on an OIT server, contact the OIT Help Desk (8-HELP).